Thursday, July 24, 2008

PETA Goes Up Against The Dark Knight For Dog Abuse Scene


A few days ago Ecorazzi reported that PETA had released a list of their top yen most animal-friendly superheroes. What I didn’t tell you (because I thought it was kinda silly) was that PETA was also pissed that a certain scene in The Dark Knight showed Batman beating a dog…that was about to attack the hell out of him.

We got a tip from one of our loyal readers who spoke with Christine Doré the author of the PETA piece about the film. Dore said, “Basically, while I personally thought it was a fantastic movie, it was a little disappointing, that part of it. I think, you know, that it’s funny that this superhero genius that everyone loves, who has all these fantastic gadgets, who never uses guns, that he doesn’t have access to a tranquilizer or other deflecting device.” Our tipster tried to get more juice, but was quickly rerouted to PETA’s official media department. Damn the man!

OK, so now it’s my turn to talk about this. I think it sucks that rottweilers get a bad rap. I wish they didn’t and I wish there weren’t so many euthanized each year. That said, I consider myself a solid 7 out of 10 on the animal rights scale and that scene didn’t offend me in the least. I believe the rule (correct me if I’m wrong vegans) is that violence towards animals is ONLY okay for self-defense. I love animals, but if I had a huge ass, scary Rottweiler centimeters away from destroying my face I just might have to swing too. I guess I worry about everyone (especially in the animal rights movement) being a little too sensitive about EVERYTHING. It was 2 seconds…in one scene…in an awesome movie…where like everyone gets the crap beat out of them.

Hey, but that’s just me! What do you think readers? Should Batman join Michael Vick in jail? Chime in and tell us what you think.

No comments: