Thursday, August 21, 2008

Michael Phelps First Big Endorsement Is Frosted Flakes


Michael Phelps and his agent buck Olympic tradition and have made a deal for the record setting swimmer to appear on boxes of Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes, instead of Wheaties. This decision has every nutritionist in America up in arms about the message this sends to kids. I can just hear some whiny 8 year-old telling asking his mom why he can’t eat the big bowl of sugar for breakfast if Olympics athletes can.

“I would not consider Frosted Flakes the food of an Olympian. I would rather see him promoting Fiber One. I would rather see him promoting oatmeal. I would even rather see him promoting Cherrio’s.” - Nutritionist Rebecca Soloman of Mount Sinai Medical Center.

I’d rather see him promoting oatmeal too, but Quaker doesn’t pay as much as Kellogg’s. Of course at the end of the day it’s the parents responsibility to make sure their kids are eating right, but seeing that perfect Olympic body on the box of something that has as much sugar as a candy bar sure isn’t going to help teach our kids about good nutrition.

No comments: